Landing a Literary Agent
How to find the right agent and compose the perfect query
Do you dream of having your book published by a major publishing house? Then you're going to need a literary agent! In this course you will learn...
- what an agent does (and the warning signs of a bad agent)
- where and how to find the right agent for you.
- the secrets to writing the perfect query letter.
- about Twitter pitches, agent contests, conference pitch sessions, and other ways to land a literary agent.
- about simultaneous submissions, exclusive reads, "nudging" agents, and other confusing aspects of the querying process.
Plus you'll receive an in-depth critique of your query letter and access to a private facebook group of other writers preparing their query letters.
It can be scary to send your work out into the world. Landing a Literary Agent will give you the confidence to send a great query to the right agents!
Eva Langston received her MFA from the University of New Orleans, and her work has been published widely and nominated for the Pushcart Prize. In 2015 she was the San Miguel Literary Sala Fiction Writer-in-Residence, and for the past three years she has been an instructor at The Writer's Center in Bethesda, Maryland. A former high school math teacher, she now writes novels for teens and tweens. Follow her on Twitter at @eva_langston, or visit her blog at www.evalangston.com.
Why should you take this course?
I have done quite a bit of agent-searching in my life, and when I first started out, I made a LOT of mistakes. I want to save you from making the same mistakes I did!
After plenty of research, I learned how to do it right and finally landed two agents who wanted to represent me -- one I found by query letter and the other through a Twitter pitch contest. I had the luxury (agony) of deciding between them! I want YOU to have that luxury (agony), too!
Landing a Literary Agents's online resources, practical advice, individual feedback, and supportive community will get you ready to query the right way to the right agents.
Get an agent! Get published! Get started now!
"Eva's class was invaluable in helping me focus on the essence of my story. The hands on approach and critique provided me with the tools I needed to write and submit my query letter to prospective literary agents."
- Recita Clemons
StartIntroduction and my agent-search story (9:17)
PreviewWhat is an agent and do you need one? (5:27)
StartWhat does a book timeline look like? (9:10)
StartWhere to look for agents (10:30)
StartHow to use Twitter (basic tutorial) (4:04)
StartHow (and what) to research when it comes to agents (7:47)
Frequently Asked Questions
When you enroll, you will get:
- full access to all the course videos, downloadable documents, and resources
- admittance to the private facebook page so you can connect with other writers
- info about the live session in which we will critique student queries and answer questions
- an email from with more details about the course and how to get your individual query critique
I'm looking forward to helping you on your quest for an agent. Let me know if you have any questions! [email protected]
This course is closed for enrollment.
"Eva's style is warm, always supportive, and intensely personal."
- Lou Siegel, author of Exam Room Confidential: The Wellborne Files